Important Documents You Need to File Your Taxes

When you file your taxes each year, it is essential you have the right files on hand. This can make your process less stressful and very efficient. Here at Caliber 360, Inc. our company is here to dedicate time to ensure that when it comes to tax preparation services, you are in good hands. We take pride in being the best accountant in Miami, FL.


Things You Will Need

  • A Social Security or tax ID number for everyone included on your tax return -You need your own number, but don’t forget your spouse and dependent’s (where applicable) as well. If someone doesn’t have a Social Security number, you’ll need their TIN instead.
  • Date of birth for everyone on your return. 
  • Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement -Your W-2 shows how much you earned and how much was withheld for taxes. Your employer has until February to send you your form. If you haven’t received yours, go ahead and request it.
  • Bank or financial institution statements – Did you make contributions to an IRA? You’ll need a Form 5498. Are you paying down student loan debt? Be sure to grab your Form 1098-E. Did you take out a home mortgage? Be sure to have your Form 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement.
  • Last year’s state refund amount – If you itemize your deductions, then your state refund is considered income for tax purposes.
  • Other miscellaneous income records – This could include award money, gambling winnings, lottery pay-outs, etc.
  • Any (and all) Form 1099s – There are several different types of 1099. Some of the common ones include:
  • 1099-MISC if you are self-employed and received $600+ from a client 
  • 1099-DIV if you received dividends  
  • 1099-G if you received money or benefits from the government 
  • 1099-K if you made third-party transactions (through PayPal or Venmo, for example) 
  • 1099-R for distributions from a retirement plan, IRA, pension, annuity, etc. 
  • Business expense records – These could be receipts, credit card statements, records of checks you’ve written, etc.
  • Quarterly estimated tax payment receipts – If you make installments to your tax bill during the year, the IRS (and your state) should send you a record of what you paid – similar to a receipt.
  • Mileage records – In order to get a deduction for your travel, you’ll need to know how many miles you drove for work purposes.
  • Home office expenses – Taking the home office deduction? You’ll need to know how big your space is in square feet.
  • Receipts for unreimbursed medical expenses – These could include exams, surgeries, and preventative care. It could also be braces, glasses, hearing aids, prescriptions – even transportation to and from treatment.
  • Form 1095: Health insurance coverage forms – If you are enrolled through the Marketplace, you’ll receive Form 1095-A. Insurance providers will send a 1095-B for individuals they cover. If your employer offers coverage, they should send you a 1095-C.
  • Social Security benefits – If you receive Social Security, you’ll receive an SSA-1099 in January showing the total amount of benefits you received for the year.
  • Charitable donation receipts – If you are planning to take a tax deduction for the donations you made to charity, you’ll need to be able to back them up with receipts showing the date, value, and charitable organization
  • Property tax receipts – If you itemize your deductions, you could write off a portion of the property taxes you paid.


Count On Our Tax Preparation Services

Caliber 360 mission is to protect our clients regardless of how unique their insurance needs are.  We offer only quality service and take great pride in it!


When our clients need help with a claim or just understanding their home and business coverage’s, we’ll always be there ready to help.


As an independent insurance agency, you have choices. Independent agents are not tied to any one insurance company. “Independent” means we’re not tied to any one insurance carrier. In other words, we can research rates and coverage options from several top insurance companies to find the best policies for you.


Call Our Accountant In Miami Today!

It is essential to understand what your items and documents you need this tax season. Also, to take advantage of tax preparation services. That is where the professionals at Caliber 360, Inc. come in. We offer the best insurance in Miami. Call us today for more information on how we can help you. Be one of the many who are taking advantage of the best home insurance Miami has to offer.